Your volunteering mission on the Cape Town sports coaching and physical education project. Contribute to community and sports development, through township sports coaching and physical education. Make a meaningful difference while improving a child’s physical wellbeing!
- During the school holidays volunteers will assist teachers in the community projects and will be involved in building, painting, holiday clubs and much more! Though the project might be slightly less ‘structured’ than during school term, there will be NO shortage of amazing, rewarding and exciting work to do with the local kids and in the local communities.
- Red Hill and Masiphumelele are in essence townships, but both are safe and peaceful with wonderful people.
- Sponsor a Child’ initiative – the children’s school fees are such a minimal figure to us, but a huge amount for a family with one working parent, or in some cases, even no parents at all. When you arrive we will go through detailed information with you on how you can sponsor a child’s fees for the year and receive quarterly updates on them, their families, progress and leave a lasting impression in the community.
- You will be living with the Cape Town Medical and Teaching volunteers and the community sections are the same. You will thus be potentially working alongside them in the afternoons, depending on the need of the projects at the time. Red Hill pre school, which is opposite the Red Hill clinic, is an area we would really like to put in a lot of resources.
- Please also understand that our projects are continuously evolving, being improved, and adapting to the needs of the local communities that we are involved with, so involvement areas do change from time to time. Rest assured your work will be necessary, rewarding and exciting. We invite you to be more than a tourist…
Cape Town is situated on the far South Western tip of Africa, about 1600 km from Johannesburg. Tourism in Cape Town peaks between November and March when the city lazes through mid summer. The Mother City has a bustling nightlife that includes restaurants of all kinds. Cape Town is unique. It has an architecture and lifestyle which are broadly cosmopolitan yet quintessentially Capetonian. The city has grown a soul and an adventurous spirit. With a diversity of people and landscapes – from the mountains, lush indigenous gardens to sandy beaches, the Mother City is the perfect place for the adventurous spirit to live out its wildest fancies. Cape Town has a Mediterranean climate. In summer it is usually pleasantly warm. The hottest days are often cooled by pleasant breezes or strong winds. The winters are cool and wet, but the temperature hardly ever falls below 10° C.
Volunteers will stay in a fully furnished house situated in the rustic town of Noordhoek. The house is on a private and secure property which is comfortable, spacious, and within easy walking distance of a shopping. It is also staffed with a cook and cleaner and each room has an en-suite bathroom. Other facilities include satellite television and a lock-up safe for your valuables. You will share your room with up to 3 other volunteers and whilst all bedding is provided, you will need to bring your own towels please.
- Physical education lessons with disadvantaged children
- Bringing fresh ideas and stimulation to the children through sports
- Helping to uplift the community through education, health care, and building projects
- Immerse yourself in local “Capetonian” culture and make friends for life!
More about our Cape Town Sports Program:
MASIPHUMELELE PRIMARY SCHOOL
This is the only primary school servicing the township of Masiphumelele, which has in excess of 35,000 residents. This is a Xhosa speaking school with over 1300 pupils and 33 teachers. The average classroom has between 45-49 children with only 1 teacher, so your efforts to assist will be hugely appreciated.
PE lessons run for 30mins each day, from 8.30am until 12.30, with each grade sending 2 classes at a time.
After having spent the morning at the primary school, you will assist in the local community in various aspects in the afternoon. You will rotate between the following community projects:
Building and painting schools
Schools in Red Hill deal with a great shortage of classrooms and facilities, as a result of which they are limited to the amount of children they can accommodate. As a volunteer, you will assist with fixing fences and windows, and rebuilding and painting classrooms. This project will also involve community litter, glass and rubbish collection.
Volunteers will assist teachers with after school care by helping with game playing, reading (both one-on-one with the kids and to the group during story time), and with other activities they engage the children with i.e. art, music, and dancing. Volunteers with adult skills such as computer, administration, financial or training can also add huge value to the teachers lives.
Masiphumelele has been blessed with a wonderfully-resourced library and great facilities. The library offers many services to the community and volunteers slot into some of the existing programs offered at the library. These include arts and crafts, puzzles, games, literacy, one on one reading, homework club and math club.
Project “Day in the life”:
Please note that your itineraries may differ from this, depending on your own experience and the number of other volunteers on the placement at the same time, and this is simply to give an example:
07:00 Get up and eat breakfast of cereals, toast, tea/coffee, and start getting ready for your project
07:45 Head off on the short drive to the Primary School
08:30-12.30 Help run PE lessons with Nceba
12:30-12.45 You will be picked up from your project, and taken to your volunteer house, where lunch is waiting for you.
14.30 Leave for one of the community projects. You will spend the afternoon playing with the children at the schools, assisting with the Educare Project, local library, sports or building and painting classrooms.
16.30 End of the working day. You will be picked up from your project and taken home where we evaluate the day and discuss the schedule for the next day. You can also opt to be dropped off in town to check emails.
18.30 Dinner at your volunteer house. After dinner, volunteers often go for either a few drinks at one of the local night spots, go to the beach or the gym.
Please note: Volunteers are given Saturday and Sunday off each week
|No. of Weeks||2016 Price|
Need a quote on your airfare to Cape Town? Please ask a member of the team for our latest prices.